Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Habitat photos – Lophophora etc.

A while ago I stumbled upon a handful of great Lophophora habitat photos published on Wikimedia Commons by Kauderwelsch.

Flowering Lophophora diffusa, near Vizarron, Quéretaro, Mexico
Flowering Lophophora diffusa, near Vizarron, Quéretaro, Mexico

Group of Lophophora diffusa near Vizarron, Queretaro, Mexico
Group of Lophophora diffusa near Vizarron, Queretaro, Mexico

Peyote (Lophophora williamsii), Wirikuta near Wadley, San Luis Potosi, Mexico
Peyote (Lophophora williamsii), Wirikuta near Wadley, San Luis Potosi, Mexico

Kauderwelsch has also made pictures of other cactus species available; a couple of examples are included below.

Ferocactus latispinus, Oaxaca, Mexico
Ferocactus latispinus, Oaxaca, Mexico

Mammillaria kraehenbuehlii, Oaxaca, Mexico
Mammillaria kraehenbuehlii, Oaxaca, Mexico

Unfortunately no new images have been added by Kauderwelsch lately; based on the quality of the photos already contributed I would like to see more of his work.

The photos are published under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License. The original high resolution copies of the pictures are available here:

You can see more of Kauderwelsch's photos in this post.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for your comments about my pictures. As a response to this honour I've uploaded more pictures to Commons.

    Sorry but I don't know the right HTML tags to put the link here. This is the address:

    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~daniel/WikiSense/Gallery.php?wikifam=commons.wikimedia.org&img_user_text=Kauderwelsch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for sharing (I probably can't resist using a couple of the new photos ;-) - are you living in Mexico?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I'm actually mexican. Thank you again for your words, and feel free to use the images as you wish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI! this is a very good link! I like very much lophophora plants, and I have some of theme: will.caespitosa and other old plants that I don't know if they are williamsii or fricii or other. In my country, a crazy State named Italy, this cultivation is not legal and not permited.. very crazy country! A question: the variegated lophophora produce seeds? Somebodies can help me to search lophohpora jourdaniana fricii diffusa seeds?
    Thank You. Jack
    Ps: the mexican photos are good!
    jacopo_13@yahoo.it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kauderwelsch, I asked to your whereabouts because your name had me thinking that you might be German (neighboring Denmark where I live). Keep the photos coming - they are much appreciated (even though I'm a bit envious on your easy access to these interesting plants and fascinating landscapes ;-)

    Jack, variegated Lophophora will flower and set seeds but I wouldn't expect variegation to be an inheritable trait (anybody have experience with/knowledge about this?). You can check the seed and plant retailers page, if you are looking for Lophophora seeds in general.

    ReplyDelete

All Time Most Popular Posts